Have you ever heard of metabolism?
Have you ever heard of Non Exercise Activity Thermogenesis, or NEAT?
Both of the above can have a significant impact on our ability to control our weight.
In a nutshell, weight loss can come down to a simple equation: Amount of energy consumed – the amount of energy expended.
If you burn more energy than you consume via food, it will lead to weight loss. Your metabolism has a role in this.
Your metabolism is a system of your body that helps burn calories, or energy. It is influenced by three things:
- Basal Metabolic Rate – your base rate at which you consume energy at rest. This is based on a number of things, including the amount of lean skeletal muscle you have.
- Thermogenic Effect of Food – the amount of energy we use to break food down to more energy
- Thermogenic effect of exercise – amount of energy the body burns after exercise, to get back to its normal state.
So what is NEAT, and how does it relate to weight loss and metabolism?
Non Exercise Activity Thermogenesis is any activity that isn’t exercise, that helps increase your daily energy expenditure and boost your metabolic rate. This includes a whole range of activities:
- Climbing stairs instead of taking the elevator
- Standing at the desk rather than sitting
- Cleaning the house
- Playing with kids/grandkids
So, if you are exercising regularly, eating healthily, but sitting down all day in between – NEAT up!
Every little bit of activity can aid weight loss, and improve overall health!
Want to know more?
If you want more information or would like to book for a FREE full body assessment with one of our Physiotherapists or Exercise Physiologists, call us on 9857 0644 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org