MD Health’s recipe of the month: creamy mushroom pasta!
Each serving of this recipe will provide you with approximately 4 serves of veggies, which is nearly your entire vegetable intake for the day!
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 brown onion – diced
- 2 garlic cloves – diced
- 2 cups roughly chopped mixed mushrooms (any variety: shiitake, enoki, shimeji, brown, cup)
- 3/4 cup soy milk
- 2-3 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
- 1/4 cup raw cashews
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
1 tsp black pepperNoodles:
3-4 medium sized zucchinis
- 2 cup sliced mixed mushrooms
- 1/2 red onion – sliced into thin rings
- 1 garlic clove – finely sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- pinch of sea salt
- 1/4 cup finely diced parsley
- black pepper – to taste
- Pre-heat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius, fan forced. Heat a pan to medium- high heat. Add the 1/2 tbsp of olive oil to the pan with the brown onion. Fry to 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly, or until golden.
- Add the garlic and fry for a further 1 minute, stirring.
- Add the roughly chopped mushrooms to the pan and fry for 3 minutes or until softened and golden. Remove pan from heat.
- Add the fried mixture to a blender/food processor with the soy milk, yeast flakes, cashews, salt and pepper. Blend all ingredients until smooth.
- Re-heat the fry pan to medium heat, add the remaining 1 tbsp olive oil, red onion, garlic and mushrooms. Fry for 2-3 minutes stirring frequently. transfer the onion, garlic and mushrooms to a lined baking tray. Sprinkle with a generous pinch of salt and place in the oven to bake for 10 minutes or until crispy.
- Spiralize the zucchini’s to create the low carbohydrate pasta!
- To re-heat the pasta sauce for serving, transfer to a pot over medium heat, stir until steaming, remove from heat.
- Heat the fry pan to medium heat and add the spiralized zucchinis to the pan, toss over the heat for 45 seconds to lightly soften, remove from heat.
- Pour the creamy pasta sauce over the ‘pasta’ and mix sauce through.
- Serve ‘pasta’ into bowls, remove baked mushrooms, onion and garlic from oven and sprinkle over bowls. Top with parsley and extra pepper if desired.
Want to know more?
If you want more information or would like to book for a FREE full body assessment with one of our Physiotherapists or Exercise Physiologists, call us on 9857 0644 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Recipe and Image Source: https://bit.ly/2XLQw1n