Just 5 ingredients and 5 tips to the perfect roasted cauliflower!
- 1 large head cauliflower
- 2 Tbsp avocado oil (or melted coconut oil // if oil-free, sub water )
- 2 Tbsp water
- 2 Tbsp shawarma spice blend (or curry powder* or a blend of similar spices // plus more for exterior)
- 1-2 tsp harissa paste (optional // reduce for less spice // increase for more spice)
- 2 tsp maple syrup (if avoiding sugar, omit)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt (plus more for exterior)
FOR SERVING optional
- Fresh parsley
- Cooked quinoa
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (204 C). Also fill a small baking pan halfway with water and set on the floor (bottom) of the oven. This will provide steam to help the cauliflower cook more evenly.
Rinse and dry the head of cauliflower and carefully cut off the bottom stalk without removing too much of the core. You want the entire head intact for baking. Peel away any remaining green leaves and place in a cast-iron skillet (or other oven-safe pan).
In a mixing bowl, mix together avocado oil or melted coconut oil, water, shawarma spice blend, harissa paste (optional), maple syrup, and salt. Taste and adjust flavor as needed, adding more shawarma for smoky flavor, harissa paste (optional) for spiciness, maple syrup for sweetness, or salt for more intense overall flavor.
Flip your cauliflower upside down and pour on most of the sauce. Let the sauce pour down the core, shake it around so it infuses the center, and then flip the cauliflower over and use a brush to rub the leftover sauce (including any that seeped into the pan) all over the exterior for maximum flavor. Place cauliflower core-side down before baking and add an extra pinch of salt and spice blend to the exterior for extra flavor.
- Place skillet in oven and roast for 35-50 minutes (depending on size of cauliflower) or until a knife easily pierces the core. If you prefer softer cauliflower, then roast for longer. For cauliflower with a little bite, roast for less time.
To brown the exterior, increase heat to high broil and roast 2-4 more minutes, watching carefully as not to burn.
- Remove from oven and enjoy as is or garnish with desired sauces and sides. We went for quinoa cooked with curry powder.
- Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator up to 4 days. Reheat in a 350-degree F (176 C) oven until hot.
Want to know more?
If you want more information or would like to book for a FREE full body assessment with one of our Physiotherapists or Exercise Physiologists, call us on 9857 0644 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Receipt and Image Source: http://bit.ly/2EhV3g1